Thursday, December 28, 2006

Bite me

Daisy finally has announced her modus operandi on the two-legged kitten: dominate and intimidate. She bit Samuel today after lying lovingly on his lap, belly up and tail waving. I only saw the consequence of the bite - namely the hiccup of surprize, the held breath and the long wail. And the two fang marks on his arm. And accompanying scratches. I shovelled some anti-histamine into him. I didn't think she had punctured his skin at the time but this evening there are definitely two red spots on his arm. Now that I think it over I better trundle over to the clinic tomorrow and make sure he's not going to get tetanus or anything. I believe his vaccinations should have covered that off, but better make sure.

She's done the belly-up thing before, front paws in rabbit-position, head tucked in, fat face on (that's my word for the I'm-so-cute-I-can't-believe-it face that cats use when they're particularly pleased with themselves). Needless to say Samuel grabs fistfuls of her fur in between his bleats of delight. Yes, he actually bleats - he goes "bah! bah! bah!". That's when she staples herself to his arm. She bit him yesterday too. I'm fairly certain, since he also cried suddenly yesterday when she was nearby, and she had a guilty look on her face when I ran over.

I'm not happy. I've started putting her in the basement when Samuel's playing on the rug and I can't supervise. Even when I'm sitting right there, she tries to squirrel in between us to lie down. I feel horrible for her because she's obviously wanting to be number one cat, which she is, now, but she thinks Samuel is a cat too. To top it all off, she is really bad about letting me trim her nails. The minute I get the clipper out she puts her ears back and gazes at me with narrowed eyes "you're not planning on bringing that thing anywhere near ME, are you?". I'm trying to handle her paws every day to get her accustomed to it, and I take her to the vet once a month for her nail trimming, but they still get pretty nasty in between visits. I don't even want to think about what would happen if she really attacked Samuel.

How do I get her to understand that Samuel is not a toy, not a cat, and not a scratching post? On top of everything he's got eczema and it's getting steadily worse. I feel like a bad mom all around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home