Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Two more sleeps...

...till the next Harry Potter! I'm all excited. I'm going to try reading the book again before I go to the movie (yes, I'm a purist). Yet another reason why my abnormal psych homework is floundering dismally. I idiotically signed up for a distance-ed course in August, and now have missed the withdrawal date and must somehow get through the thing. Harry is NOT helping.

In fact, almost any distraction is... distracting. What's with that? I firmly resolved to study thursday nights and saturday mornings and then cheerfully proceeded to book the next two thursdays and saturdays with fun social activities. At this rate I will FAIL. That has to be THE fate-worse-than-hell for an aspiring PhD student. Not that I'm aspiring yet, but I have fond hopes of staggering through a PhD within the next ten years or so. I'll have to phone my friend S. and team-study: when she hits the books, so do I. Barring, of course, any pressing social engagements. (KIDDING! I am seriously getting worried. S, I will be calling!). Then there's my other friend S. who managed to do an entire Bachelor's over ten years WITH three children and a stunningly dysfunctional husband howling in the background (that was not a misplaced modifier. They were all howling. I'm sure of it).

For all you grammar-types out there: does the period go inside or outside the brackets? Being a compulsive bracketer I need to know. Also, if I have an exclamatory statement within brackets, do I punctuate the rest of the sentence immediately outside the brackets? most confusing. I generally punctuate outside the brackets, or inside, or both. ...Okay, so maybe I just randomly assign, but at least I'm punctuating!

But back to the topic at hand, that of Unrestrained Procrastination. What to do? I think part of the problem is I have no Study Space. Nothing that says to my errant mind: quit it, shut up, focus, we're in the Study! Of course, creating a study space would take up valuable time I'm supposed to be using for studying. But perhaps the investment is worth the payoff.

*sigh* help!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

Where the period goes depends on the structure of the sentence and the purpose of the parenthetical clause. You really must pick up Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynn Truss.

As for the other stuff, I'm with you on Harry! Let's go together!

As for the Ph.D. don't worry, you'll get there. Remember though... you have something a "little" more "pressing" to "push through" first! (How's that for hinting??)

9:01 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home