Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Out with the old, in with the new!

So I think I’ve lost a friend to The Marriage Void. She’s met a wonderful man, they’re getting married, and have just moved in together. Despite our best attempts, we’re losing touch as they make a life together. Although I’m thrilled she’s found a good man (and am wishing that he had some single friends) I’m also grieving the loss of our original friendship. It’s weird that her good fortune brings such poignancy with it.

Is this an inevitable part of the shift from singledom to couplehood? Must one die to an old life to begin a new one? We both had hoped this would not happen but it seems almost impossible to avoid. Add to the mix my new motherhood and our shared reality becomes ever fainter.

I always thought poorly of women who dumped their girlfriends when they met a man. However, I must say that in this case, it feels like it’s almost an inexorable part of the metamorphosis from one life to another.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

Sounds like you are grieving indeed. Not really sure that I have any words of wisdom to offer at the moment, other than that I am thinking of you... Will check in again soon...

11:16 p.m.  
Blogger ipodmomma said...

I don't think it needs to be like that... meeting a partner shouldn't necessitate giving up friendships...

hope this finds a way to work out...

12:30 p.m.  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

Friendships evolve over time and circumstance. Embrace this one for all it is and has the potential to be.

10:16 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home