Thursday, December 22, 2005

Loot! gotta love the season

I've never grown out of my delight in receiving gifts. Big ones, little ones, ones that climb on rocks... any gift is a source of immediate pleasure. The only gift I remember ever thinking was awful was a framed patch of dryer lint that someone brought to a pirate gift exchange at work one year. Luckily I wasn't saddled with having to throw it out - even the frame was really ugly. There is a limit, after all.

Interestingly my gift-receiving delight is not matched by any semblance of gift-giving talent. This year I'm doing gifts-by-deadline. Most of them are glimmers of ideas until the day or two prior to the event where the exchange will happen - an open house, dinner, tea, whatever. Sometimes I've had an idea for a gift for quite some time, but more often I have a mild feeling of panic as I trawl the stores for something appropriate - I have realized that I just don't REMEMBER things about my friends enough to be a really good gift-giver. I can't remember what colours they like, what style of jewelry or genre of book or music. It's actually quite distressing and sad when I realize how little I remember.

One of the women at work has a detailed spreadsheet with events, ideas and tidbits that provide her with clues as to what an appropriate gift might be. I think she is my hero. I've thought about having a little notebook of ideas - maybe the new year is a good time to start.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

Is that trawling the stores or trolling them? (Hee hee.... couldn't resist!)

That woman at work sounds like she has a serious case of OCD. Don't try to be like her.

Just be you. You give the most delightful (and appropriate!) gifts!

6:36 p.m.  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

Warmest wishes, and I hope all the gifts you give and receive are full of peace and love.

12:17 a.m.  
Blogger Bast said...

Loot, loot, I love loot! I have officially subscribed to the theory the more you give, the more you get. This year has been loot-i-full! I am also officially sated. Deep, contented sigh.

10:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home