Thursday, December 29, 2005

yay! new furniture, new paint, new year!

I got a new sideboard yesterday! what fun! It's BEAUTIFUL. I think this is my first piece of REAL furniture that isn't upholstered (important qualifier since I've bought brand-new chesterfields and mattresses in the past). I have always purchased cabinets, bureaus, tables etc from second hand places or dubious antique shops that refurbish cast-aways and then price them at a hundreds of dollars. Either that or our trusty Value Village and Interfaith stores.

Amazingly enough they delivered the sideboard ON TIME, I wasn't even home yet - luckily the painter guy let them in. Yes, I'm also getting the house painted. This is Nesting with a Vengeance. I just don't want to have things bugging me after the baby arrives. Yeah, that's it. I'm feeling SO much better about the house now that things are actually happening. If only I could wave a magic wand and have the basement sterilized and redone by next week, I could start the new year off with a huzzah worth the yelling!

Speaking of New Year, it seems pretty low key this year. Mine, of course, started on the 22nd as the year turned past solstice - the earth creaked to a standstill and reversed its tilt, and we're off on another pendulum swing through to midsummer's day. Anyway, for the secular festivities this weekend I'm going to a fondue with a bunch of girls - there's something really horrible about being surrounded by kissing couples when one is single. I either end up shunning the party scene or leaving before the clock strikes. What I want to know is, where do all the single guys go? Do they mope around at home, or drink with their buddies, or what?

2 Comments:

Blogger Turtle Guy said...

Nice post. Congratulations on the new paint and furniture - much the same feelings I felt when I bought a few items of new clothing for myself recently.

A fondue sounds like a wonderful way to bring in the New Year! As for being single in a group of couples... been there, done that. I dunno - I always felt like I was among my friends first and among "the couples" second... maybe that's just a guy thing.

As for where do all the single guys go... hmm... in my profession I've found myself working New Years, not to mention this year I have a wonderful lady in my life. Er... maybe I'm not the best one to answer THAT question.

Enjoy your evening out - I'm a little jealous because I LOVE fondue, but perhaps I could play a song for you where I'm at? How about "Hot Stuff/Bad Girls" by Diana Ross?

Be well, and best wishes for a wonderful New Year!

4:30 p.m.  
Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

Furniture that's not upholstered, eh?

Er... you DO remember shopping for new (un-upholstered) dining room chairs recently (with me!) don't you?

Lovely way to start the new year!

As for all the single guys... well... um... dunno... I'm planning on shunning the parties, as I did last year. Love to socialize... hate the pressure of "needing" to be somewhere on NYE so I graciously decline all invites and deliciously hibernate with movies... and possibly 'za.

You'll have to pose the "single guy" question at the fondue and let us know what they say...

Happy New Years to you and Junior!

10:44 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home