Friday, May 26, 2006

Radio Rant

As recently as March (BC – Before Children) I lived in silence. In my house there was the sound of the furnace, the clock ticking, the click-click (rather than pad-pad, courtesy long hind claws) of cat feet, the occasional maiao to announce that I had yet again failed to fulfill my duties as servant, or purrful praises for my humble efforts. My ears, in fact, are sensitive enough that what most people called a “normally loud ” volume is physically painful for me.

Rock concerts are out of the question unless I wear industrial strength ear plugs, and even those musical events held in more acoustically civilized locales than the city’s pro hockey rink have me sitting with my fingers placed elegantly in my ears. I’ve even been known to request the soundman at a church service to turn down the volume (whatever happened to good old hymn singing? These days churches seem to want to present an entire rock concert every week – not that I frequent churches in the general run of things). Anyway, my point is that I didn’t have much noise, ambient or otherwise, in my environment.

All that has changed since the offspring arrived. I was warned by my SIL that babies are notorious for being routine-oriented, and unless I wanted a little hellion that refused to sleep unless it was absolutely quiet, I’d better start having a noisier house in general. So I turned on the radio – and a new rant was born. I can’t BELIEVE the inanities that are broadcast across our airwaves. Commercials drive me nuts, the music is stunningly repetitive and the disc jockeys are nauseating. Intelligent radio, anywhere?? Of course I could (and do) switch to CBC, still a source of thoughtful commentary…and while in the States I listened to Public Radio or something like that which was really good.

Okay, maybe it’s not quite that bad, and I’m slowly learning to tune out the yukky stuff. Which makes me wonder what’s happening in my subconscious since it’s still taking it all in. I can’t wait until Samuel’s old enough to sleep consistently wherever he is – he is already very good at sleeping through grocery shopping and visits to the video store so I live in hope! I did switch to a lullaby CD last night, which worked fine, and also is teaching me a few lullabies. For anyone out there, I recommend it : Lullaby Berceuse, a warm prairie night by Connie Kaldor (I tried hyperlinking to a book listing at indigo but it doesn't work properly, I'm probably doing something wrong).

4 Comments:

Blogger ipodmomma said...

I have gotten so used to Radio 4, with no commercials, that when I do have to listen to non-BBC radio, it really bothers me...

totally understand!!! :)))

9:51 a.m.  
Blogger wthenrest said...

Hello,just thought I would pop in and say hi...patio sounds good....

10:38 p.m.  
Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

I had noticed that your home was always quiet... serene, I guess.

If you think CBC is bad, try Fox TV.

1:29 p.m.  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

I read an article recently on the recording industry and its changing practices. Audio material is consistently being recorded hotter (louder) and hotter. The writer of the article posed the question "How are YOUR ears these days?"

Also read an editorial in the Herald by a fellow who attended a concert at the 'Dome. His complaint was that the sound production company completely destroyed the show by overmodulating the sound - too much bass and muffled mids and highs. He stated (and I paraphrase here) "I'm sure the artist didn't INTEND the music to sound that way!"

FYI - one of the best sounding sound systems in the city is at the Whisky Night Club - in case you're inspired...

10:05 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home