Sunday, October 29, 2006

Dishwasher Insanity

So my parents bought a dishwasher in July. It arrived in due course and they had a plumber come over to install it. He happened to be the retired dad of my SIL, so they thought they'd do the community-oriented thing and hire someone they knew instead of a stranger. (Can you see it coming?) anyway, he showed up one weekend morning and proceeded to spend EIGHT (8) hours installing their dishwasher, because he a) talked too much b) insisted on "fixing" (aka breaking) their kitchen tap, c) didn't have the tools he needed, d) installed the plumbing before the electrical and then realized he couldn't reach the wall behind the dishwasher to connect the electrical, and had to do it all over, e) insisted the whole time he knew exactly what he was doing and wouldn't listen to my dad's input or observations. Now being my father's daughter, his input and observations usually drive me batty but he does have a good head on his shoulders and the poor guy would have saved him (and my folks) about 4 hours if he'd listened. Anyway, it got done. Except for the kick-plate, which was dented, which is where my rant actually starts.

The Bay, the retail bastion of Canada, now owned by the chinese (god knows everything comes from there anyway) - or was it the Americans? anyway, one of them furrinners, ordered the part. So they say. A month later, no part.

My mom called the Bay. "oh yeah, it's back-ordered at the manufacturers. Call us in a week"

Three weeks later, still no kickplate. At this point, I somehow got roped into helping. I could feel a rant coming on but I restrained myself, saying it was a bit early to rant. I called their warranty, the golden we-do-everything warranty that they purchased with the dishwasher since they didn't want any hassles with it. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Warranty Guy: "Oh, we don't do that, it was still part of the installation. Call the parts department". I called the parts department. No one knew anything about it. They promised to investigate and call back the next day.

Three days later, I phoned back.
Parts Guy: "oh, umm. we have a note here that we actually sent the part to the store. I have the store number right here, we want you to be happy". Yes, he really said that. Ha. Ha. Ha. I phoned the store and asked for the manager. I ranted. A small rant, quite reasonably toned, but undoubtedly not a happy story.

Store Manager: "Oh, it sure sounds like you got the run around! who was your sales guy? Let me look into it and we'll solve the problem for you."

Two days later, the Store manager calls my mom. "Come on down any time, we can't find the part they sent but we've removed a kickplate from one of our existing models for you!"

I packed up Samuel, dropped him at my SIL's and drove to the store. No part. No sign of a part. Three staff people and not one clue among them. Also no store manager. I didn't rant but was definitely annoyed.

Store guy: "We'll have Bill (the manager) call you on Sunday when he gets back."
He busily writes my name and number on a non-descript scrap of paper that is shouting "lose me! lose me!"

Sunday: no call. (are we surprised?) I phone the warranty people and let off a good rant.

Warranty Woman: "I'm sorry I can't help you. The parts department is closed on Sundays. I can call them tomorrow for you."

I let a couple of hours go by and call the store again. Where's Bill?
Sales guy: "oh, Bill isn't the manager. He's the sales guy looking after this for you. I'll have him call you." Warren calls me. I rant unrestrainedly.

Warren: "If you want, we can order you the part. We never ordered the part, because if we had I would have done it. Bill just took one off another diswasher and left it at the front. They should have given it to you when you came in. He's expecting you today"

Me: "I'm not coming to the store again. I have a baby and am not coming in. I want the part delivered and installed as it should have been at the beginning!" (not a pleasant tone)

Warren: "well who would you like to yell at?"

Me: I don't care! just fix my problem!! If Bill had called back like he said he would I would yell at him directly!

Warren: "I'll have Bill call you."

To be continued...

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

Awful, awful, awful!

Once, and only ever once, I got so frustrated at a similar retail situation that I uncontrollably gushed with tears (must have been a particular time of month, since I rarely gush with tears at any time). And it really was sincere... I probably couldn't have faked that even if I'd tried! (Besides, I see no point in faking anything... Waste of time!)

In any event...!

Next time you pick up the phone to call them, start peeling an onion. Just for fun! See what happens...

9:45 p.m.  
Blogger Bast said...

I hate everyone. It's simply too hard to get anything done right these days! And no one in Calgary believes in customer service anymore. The customer is never right and they should all bugger off seems to be the new mantra.

I'm off the Bay, in solidarity.

9:15 p.m.  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

My new washing machine blew apart. Literally. It took me three weeks on a waiting list for waranty service. They're scheduled today between Noon and Four. It'll be interesting to see what's done and said.

S - Peeling an onion... that's cute, not to mention crafty!

B - You're quite right about customer service in Calgary. I think it will take "the crash" to right the tilt. I saw an article last weekend about a girl who was complaining that the retail jobs she was applying for required her to work weekends. Horrors. She quite matter-of-factly said she extepected a little more flexibility on the part of the employers. In retail, imagine.

4:32 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home