Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Rolling along

Samuel is grunting happily on the living room floor. It's really HOT these days so he spends a lot of time nudy, which he loves. Unlike when he was a newborn, when he hated being without clothes. I’ve decided to forego purchasing a rug for him to lie on, partly to avoid the cost and partly to avoid the shopping – which in itself is astounding since usually I am a shopping hound. It's just too hard to flip the rugs and carry one to the till with a baby in tow.

T. also has hardwood floors and said she would throw an old blanket down, which I’ve adopted. It works fine and is cleaner I’m convinced since the cats don’t rush to roll on it as they would a carpet. Not that I’m particularly averse to dirt, I follow the five second rule or the "doesn’t have fur on it – must be fine” rule most of the time. I started out using an exercise mat for him, but he's too big for it now and an old quilt has been promoted to baby-duty.

We went outside to smell the rain today. At almost four months Sam is astronomically more responsive and interested in his environment. The cats are - and in fact any animal is - fascinating to him, specially my two brothers’ large dogs. He loves “chatting” with people, is practicing blowing bubbles, squealing and is starting to realize he can shout. In fact, considering he doesn’t use words, he does a pretty good job of communicating.

He can tell me he’s hungry, sleepy, tired of (fill in the blank), happy, excited, angry. The only one I haven’t figured out is the ‘I just pooed” one. And of course I don’t always clue in to which one is which until he injects some emotion into his words.

S:
Z: Hi honey!
S: aaah.
Z. (at the stove) Do you think we should do groceries today?
S: AAAH!
Z: no shopping?
S: AAAAAH!(angry)
Z: (turning around) oh! I see your toy has run away

Sam has mastered the half-roll now, flipping with ease from his back to his front and scooching the lower arm out from under him. He always turns to one side however, and he hasn’t figured out the return trip.

My biggest rant right now is he’s decided he has to feed every two hours. I thought he had moved past that, but he must be on a growth spurt again. So I’m spending my days in a zombie-state, praying for the three-hour sleep to return so I can get a full sleep cycle in.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

I have seen the half roll and yes, it is progress.

Way to go on not buying the rug... and improvising! That's what my Mom always did... Isn't improvisation part of motherhood?

9:43 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home