Friday, December 09, 2005

Try not to panic

I had a full-blown panic attack in the middle of the night. Complete with cold sweat, pounding heart, lack of air and feelings of imminent doom. I jumped out of bed and was racing down the hall before I woke up enough to stop myself. Would have been ironic to go charging out of the house, have an athsma attack from the cold air and collapse from lack of oxygen. It was quite alarming at the time but seems a bit comical now. I thought of phoning the midwife but what would one say? "I think I'm going to die in less than a minute, but I know that can't be true, but it feels like it will definitely happen, so what do you suggest?" My rational mind was going "you're being an idiot. Nothing is wrong. Go back to bed" but my emotional mind was having none of that. Guess who won.

I ended up wandering in circles with the phone clutched in one hand and the midwife number in the other (I've written it in large numbers on an index card - I can never remember numbers when I'm feeling bad). It did ease after fifteen minutes or so, but heaven only knows why it happened in the first place. I was breathing fine, as far as I can remember. The mysteries of life as ... me, I guess. Maybe it was because I bought a bunch of furniture two nights ago? That's anxiety causing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

Oh dear....! So sorry to hear all this!

Why didn't you call someone else? Say... a family member or *friend*? They never mind being woken up in the middle of the night in an emergency. That's what they are there for!!

And shopping - of any kind - should never be the cause of stress!

Hugs to you. You're surrounded by people who love you. Don't forget that.

(And yes, that's me... using the "L" word! This is an emergency after all!...And "you like my sista', sweet pea!")

10:40 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home